As mothers, we have a tough, thankless job that doesn’t come with any handbook with directions on how to navigate motherhood. We are forced to tap into that divine feminine intuition that sometimes can be tough to listen to when we are tired, working, trying to raise kind, responsible human beings and juggling all life throws at us. That can lead to opportunities for negative narratives filling up your mind. Then comes the comparisons to other mothers, without much help from social media. It then leads to focusing on what we did wrong to what a horrible parent we are. You can head down a rabbit hole of despair fairly quickly.
But there are some things we can do to stay centered and close to the Goddess Mother within you. The more we work on our own narrative, the more others will catch on as well. If anything we need more now, it’s to support each other in this motherhood journey even if situations are not the same. We need to unite as mothers because, let’s be honest, it takes a village to raise a child!
So how can we do that?
Changing the narrative.
Sounds easier said than done, I know. But don’t complicate it because it is a simple task, we can all do. When you find negative thoughts flooding your mind, instantly turn it into something positive. Whether its immediately thinking of 3 things you are grateful for or just saying something positive about yourself instead. This will train your mind into releasing the negative and focusing on the positive. Instead of thinking about everything you did wrong, think about everything you did right! I guarantee that list is longer!
Something else I love, love, love are Affirmations.
Affirmations are positive, unique mantras or statements about you or your situation that you can play on repeat in your mind daily. You can choose one daily or a few different ones to repeat throughout the day. I suggest starting your day, upon waking, with an affirmation that will set the tone for the day. Write it down so you can be reminded of it often.
If you are having trouble coming up with your own, here is a list of 30 Motherhood Mantras that will get you through the chaos that motherhood comes with.
- I love myself enough, to nurture myself, so I have an abundance of love to give to others.
- I trust my intuition to lead me in my motherhood journey.
- I am capable of amazing things because I helped create life.
- I love the body that created and carried my child(ren).
- My body is beautiful and deserves grace in this season of healing.
- I am centered and focused on healing my postpartum mind, body, and soul.
- I am strong because I helped create, carry and birth my little one(s).
- Peace begins with me. The more peaceful I am inside, the more peace I have to share with others. – Louise Hay
- This is just a season of life that needs me to nurture and be nurtured.
- I love myself because_____________.
- I am filled with an abundance of love.
- Today I will find peace in knowing that the sun always rises and so will I.
- Even the littlest thing I do, serves the greater good of my family.
- I parent with confidence, without guilt or comparisons. Other mothers are not me, as I am not them.
- I give myself permission to do something that nourishes my mind, body and soul.
- Loving my child(ren) is more important than loving every moment of motherhood.
- I am a good mom, even as I work to become a better one.
- I was chosen to parent my child because I was exactly what he/she needed.
- There is an abundance of love and peace in this home, even in the midst of chaos.
- I am grateful for the time I get to spend with my child(ren).
- I will do my best as a mom, and that is always enough.
- I am more than enough for my baby.
- I am present and grateful in this moment.
- I will model self-love to my child(ren) without guilt.
- The struggles I push through today will be the strengths I gain tomorrow.
- My love is given from my full, heart centered, cup.
- I will let go of how I think today is supposed to go and accept how it flows.
- I am grateful for my ability to create and carry life.
- I was brought to this moment because I am strong enough to thrive through this situation gracefully.
- I am going with the flow of life and I am peaceful knowing it will all be OK.
I hope starting this affirmation practice gives you the confidence you need to be your best Goddess Mother self, even when life challenges it.